SIDNEY B. MEADOWS SCHOLARSHIP
TO AWARD $18,000 TO TWELVE STUDENTS DURING SNA 2014
ACWORTH, GA, July 7, 2014 – The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Fund has announced the names of twelve students from eight southeastern universities chosen to receive academic scholarships this year. The presentations will take place on Wednesday, July 23, during SNA 2014 in Atlanta. The $1,500 awards, totaling $18,000, will be presented to:
- Paul C. Bartley, III, Auburn University
- Jeb S. Fields, Virginia Tech
- Russell Galanti, Temple University
- Lauren Marie Garcia, Texas A&M University
- Lauren Alexandra Gragg, North Carolina State University
- Judson Stuart LeCompte, Mississippi State University, Awarded the Lee C. Howell Scholarship
- Robert Michael Nance Virginia Tech, Awarded the Art & Millie Lancaster Scholarship
- Anna Eleen Ribbeck, Louisiana State University, Awarded the Dr. James & Faye Foret Scholarship
- David Roberts, North Carolina State University
- James Franklin Rockwell II, Virginia Tech
- Kevin Trostel, Middle Tennessee State University
- Dillon William Turk, Auburn University, Awarded the Robert L. VanLandingham Scholarship
Scholarship recipients are determined through a competitive application process, administered by a selection committee, based on academics, determination, demonstrated interest in the horticulture industry, and financial need. This year’s recipients were chosen from a pool of dozens of well-qualified applicants.
“Congratulations to this exemplary group of students who have excelled academically and demonstrated determination and a passion for horticulture,” said Danny Summers, Executive Vice President of the fund.
“These scholarship awards will help lighten their financial load as they pursue their careers and I am confident each of these students will make an effective and positive contribution to our industry. I look forward to seeing their accomplishments as they complete their studies,” he added.
To date, a total of $455,000 has been awarded since the fund was established. The fund’s current assets are now more than $850,000. Seven named funds have been pledged: the Carolina Weed Science Fund, the Dr. James & Faye Foret Fund, the Richard J. “Dick” Hackney Fund, Sr. Fund, the Lee C. Howell Fund, the Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Fund, the Art & Millie Lancaster Fund, and the Robert L. VanLandingham Fund. The financial support offered by the fund has allowed many students the opportunity to begin or continue to work toward their educational goals.